Thursday saw world stocks upbeat as the weekend approached with stocks and the U.S. dollar trading higher.
The dollar index, which measures the greenback against a basket of six major currencies gained 0.2 percent at 89.698 and against the euro $1.2345.
Worries of a Trade War
China made claims according to the state Global Times newspaper that the U.S. was the victim of trade imbalances. While Germany said that tangible damage would be caused if there was a trade war. Worries that some countries might retaliate saw exports down.
White House national economic council director, Larry Kudlow commented on Wednesday saying that there had been a tough response on trade with China, which they had earned. He went on to say that he would like to see the dollar a little stronger.
Chief Economic Strategist at Lazard Freres Gestion, Julien-Pierre Nouen said that the markets are focused on the trade policies and political events in the U.S.
Europe saw upbeat results from Munich Re, Generali and Old Mutual.
• The yen gained 0.3 percent to 105.98 per dollar
• The New Zealand dollar fell 0.3 percent to 72.55 U.S. cents
• Sterling was below $1.40- As the U.K. expels 23 Russian diplomats related to accusations of chemical poisoning of former Russian spy and his daughter. Unilever one of the biggest companies in Britain said they were moving their headquarters in London
• Japan’s Topix index fell 0.2 percent as at 12:30 p.m. in Tokyo-As scandal rocks the market surrounding Prime Minister Shinzo Abe cover-up of discounted state owned lands sales, which he denies
• The Shanghai Composite slipped 0.2 percent
• Hong Kong’s Hang Seng Index fell 0.3 percent
• South Korea’s Kospi shed 0.4 percent
• Australia’s S&P/ASX 200 Index gained 0.5 percent
• Futures on the S&P 500 Index fell 0.1 percent
Gold slipped 0.1 percent to $1,326.16 an ounce
Brent crude futures is at $64.49 a barrel
West Texas Intermediate gained to $61.05
Get More Out of Your Investments With 24option
With 24option’s advanced new and improved platform traders can get optimal trading conditions and good investment returns. This award winning broker offers some of the most sort after stocks like Apple, Google, Amazon and Netflix. Traders have a choice of 46 currency pairs and over 100 assets for CFD trading, they also offer some of the hottest cryptocurrency trading.
Regulated and authorised for safe trading conditions, 24option offer numerous perks such as: a free demo account, advanced charting tools, micro lots trading, tight spreads, mobile trading, 24/7 personalised customer support and lots more!
Our team of financial experts have years of experience in the foreign exchange markets and can guide you into focusing on the more important factors to look at in selecting a forex broker to sign-up for.
And we don’t just look at the numbers here. We go beyond the quantities or amounts to make a real and measurable review that is based not just on the pros but also on the cons.